The brain is damn mystery. We are born with a map that tells us where our body parts are in relation to our sense of self. What if someone was born without parts of that map or that map was rearranged or missing directions? This is a pre-school-ish way of explaining Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID for short).
Some people are born with a brain map that tells them a hand, a foot, sight, or even both legs are not part of their own bodies. There is a cure for this rare disorder: to physically disable oneself. We did some research and discovered that it’s actually no laughing matter, but we give it a shot!
- The National Center for Biotechnology Information
- Book, The Man Who Wasn’t There: Investigations into the Strange New Science of the Self – Anil Ananthaswamy
- Nick O’Hallaron -Living With BIID: I Want To Cut Off My Leg
- I Made Myself Blind: Living With BIID
- Chloe Jennings Wants To Be Permanently Paralysed: Body Integrity Identity Disorder
- Mindscapes: The man who needs to paralyse himself – New Scientist
- BIID Uncensored
- Double-hand transplant recipient wants new hands removed
- Book, Ego Tunnel: The Science of the Mind and the Myth of the Self